Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Preview of Creative Session Piece



Yo ho, me hearties ...

Here is the latest piece for the Rockstar Creative Session (tomorrow). I've watched many of the Gnomon DVDs on perspective and on rendering scenes and they helped me to establish some good perspective here. Next month's piece will go even further (I've already started the pencil comp process). Overall, this on is extremely vertical and centered, but I do like it. I also stuck to a format similar to that of a book jacket ...

The subject matter is the finale of the story I began with last month's piece, something called "Privateer." In this scene everything has fallen apart for the main character and he has been tricked by his enemies. In the scene, the ancient manor house and government seat has been turned into a beacon that summons an alternative universe. The people he is supposed to have been governing are now storming the place intent on burning it (and him) to the ground.

11 comments:

  1. How many hours have you got in this Tom? i like it. The complementary and saturated color and very striking. Good composition. And I'm a sucker for monolithic sculpture. The Harryhausen Talos experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful piece Tom, color, composition, the whole feeling of the thing. Really, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ... I count my work in terms of lunch hours (since I do them on my work computer ... faster). I think I have about five lunch hours into this one ...

    I have a Cintiq monitor that I'm about to hook up here (got it for reviewing and they didn't ask for it back ...). That may help my workflow once I get up to speed on it. Also, I'm thinking of switching to Painter. Anyone have a preference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a Cintiq pad. Skrbbl's got one. I suggest sticking with photoshop. It will do anytrhing that painter will do. Just get to know the Brush settings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy with my Cintiq at the office. I've always thought about giving Painter a try but I already know Photoshop and it does just about everything I can imagine needing, so I'm not so interested in exploring it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I like the painting very much! Very grand, very epic, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you make Photoshop emulate a wet watercolor brush such that when you stroke it, it runs and bleeds, and either blends with the other pigments on the page or else it overlays it with a transparent layer depending on the "wetness" of the other pigments?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, painter does some things that would be hard to set up

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't used Painter. I'm asking because I'm considering buying some kind of program that does that. I don't know if Painter does that but I assumed that it did do stuff like that and Photoshop didn't. I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. try this TOM. It has a free version.

    http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

    ReplyDelete