Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Looks like I got it.




Hey guys,


To answer Ellis' question and to fill you all in, I was officially told on Monday by High Moon Studios that they were going to make me an offer on the job I interviewed for about a month ago. I'm going to be a fulltime storyboard artist for them. They're sending me the offer by mail so hopefully I'll receive it by Wednesday (Mar. 14).


So it looks likes I'll be moving back to San Diego (Carlsbad to be exact) within the next month or so. I don't know specifics yet like when they need me or where I'll be moving to but it looks to be a great place to work. For those of you who don't know, High Moon Studios is a video game company located right near Palomar Airport. I actually know a good number of people there, in fact Chris Ulm, a creative director, used to be my editor at Malibu Comics and the CEO of the place is John Rowe with whom Ellis and I worked with back in the late 80's early 90's. Here's a link to their website:




Click on the "studio tour" button to see some pics of the interior. They also got some pretty funny video clips they've made.


Anyways, I'll update you guys once I hear from them again and know more facts. In the meantime, here are a couple of frames from the art test they had me do. They're from a page of script from an early draft of the film Gladiator.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, is Jim Busike there? I know he was there when it was Sammy a few years back...

    Congrats on the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Scott, that's great. Did they actually make you draw those samples on-site as part of the interview? I can't imagine having to perform like that on cue. What pressure. You have to really know your stuff to pass a test like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! The web page makes it look like the best place on Earth to work. I hope it's a great experience. I imagine they'll press you into a few things beside storyboards but be receptive to it. First suggestion, get just good enough with the 3d to use it to cheat some perspective on complicated layout. Congratulations! You me Jeff and Marty should go see 300 before you go. It's been sold out all week here at the BRidge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Scott! I used to live in the apartments right by the Costco and the Carlsbad Outlet Mall off of Palomar Airport Road. Didn't realize High Noon was located there. Keep us posted on how it goes there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!
    Rick, Yes Jim Busike is still there. I saw him when I last went down to interview.
    Tom, No they gave me a week at home to finish the boards. It took about 3 days to do about 28 boards (although I could have done them quicker if I wanted to, so there! I can feel your judgment from here! Why do you vex me so?!)
    Ellis, yeah I haven't seen 300 yet so let's get everyone together and plan a screening.
    Surly Bird, sorry I'm not recognizing your call sign. Who are you? Did you like living in Carlsbad? Are there any areas you might suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surly Bird is my cousin Ronnie who you met briefly when we were sharing studio space at the Little Italy studio. Coordination is tough on these movie outings. Lets get a Skrbbl reaction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Scott. I met you back in '94, but I doubt I made much of an impression. I was fresh out of college, fat and sick. Ellis was kind enough to show me around San Diego and give me some career advice.

    Those apartments, on the hill (might be condos now) are pretty good. SeaCrest or SeaView Village or something like that - but I lived there six years ago, so I don't know how good or bad they are now, but I would imagine they are still pretty nice places to live. Great location for you, maybe 10 minutes to work and no freeways. Actually, you will be in a great spot - Encinitas is south right down El Camino Real - and San Marcos is nearby too. Vista is also nearby and might be fairly affordable. A good friend of mine just bought some kind of palatial house in San Marcos recently, but the price tag would probably make me faint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Of course you know Mr. Buncake that you have to pay me my fee aka lie-through-my-teeth-to-the-HR-person-interview about-how-scott-isn't-a-serial-killer. But yeah we should go see 300. And you should slow down on the quality of the storyboard drawings my friend. Well drawn boards scare the bejeesus out of the lesser board artists like myself. :-Pm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought these three were the only ones they made you do. Twenty-eight boards in three days...and in your spare time. That's even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete